United States District Court, D. Colorado
SETTING AND TRIAL PREPARATION ORDER
MARCIA S. KRIEGER, District Judge.
THIS MATTER comes before the Court for setting of trial and pretrial deadlines. The parties have previously contacted the Court and advised the Court of the deadlines applicable pursuant to the Speedy Trial Act (18 U.S.C. §3161, et. seq. ) and obtained preliminary dates. Pursuant to the agreement of the parties and in accordance with the Speedy Trial Act and the Local Rules of the United States District Court for the District of Colorado effective December 1, 2015,
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED:
This Order may not be modified by agreement of the parties. Upon timely application, however, either or both parties may seek modification as may be necessary to meet a bona fide emergency, to avoid irreparable injury or harm, or as may otherwise be necessary to do substantial justice.
A. TRIAL AND MOTIONS SETTING
1. The initial trial setting in this matter for a three-day trial to a jury of twelve, plus alternates, is June 20, 2016, at 1:00 p.m., in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, Courtroom A901, Alfred A. Arraj U.S. Courthouse, 90119th Street, Denver, Colorado. Pretrial motions other than Motions to Suppress shall be filed on or before April 29, 2016. Responses and Motions to Suppress shall be filed on or before May 13, 2016. Absent a specific directive to the contrary, responses to all motions in this case shall be filed within seven days. The government's response to any suppression motion shall include the estimated time needed for an evidentiary hearing on the motion.
2. A final pretrial conference/motions hearing is set for June 16, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. If no motions are timely filed, this hearing will be a final pretrial conference. If motions are timely filed, this will be a non-evidentiary motion hearing. At the hearing, non-evidentiary motions will be resolved or set for further determination, evidentiary motions will be set for hearing and trial may be set. Please confer prior to the hearing to determine whether issues are in dispute, then narrow the issues to be resolved or file appropriate documents resolving the motions prior to the hearing.
3. With regard to any motion filed by a defendant which is not governed by paragraph 1 above, the government shall file a written response to the motion within 5 business days of service of the motion, unless otherwise ordered by the Court.
B. PLEA AGREEMENTS
Local Rule D.C.COLO.LCrR 11.1 is applicable in this matter. Absent Court Order, a Notice of Disposition shall be filed no later than 14 days before the trial date. At the Change of Plea Hearing, the original of the Plea Agreement and Statement in Advance should be marked as exhibits. If an Information is to be proffered, it should be marked as well. Oral motions to dismiss counts pursuant to the Plea Agreement can be made at the Change of Plea Hearing, and if granted, the order of dismissal will be stayed until the time of sentencing.
C. TRIAL PREPARATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Conflicts in Scheduling. Continuances of the trial will be granted only in truly exceptional circumstances upon grounds satisfying the provisions of the Speedy Trial Act
2. Motions and Jury Instructions. All motions in limine and proposed jury instructions must be filed no later than the day of and before the final trial preparation conference. All instructions submitted should contain language which is gender neutral or gender correct. Instructions should contain the caption AInstruction No. ___", and the supporting authority, but no other titles or numbers. Parties should submit stipulated facts and summary of the charges in the Indictment/Information as separate jury instructions.
3. Witness List. No later than the day of and before the final trial preparation conference, the Government shall file the final Witness List (form available through the "Judicial Officers' Procedures" link at www.co.uscourts.gov). Please be sure that first and last names are spelled correctly (using capital letters only for proper names) and that any changes in name have been noted, as one copy will ...