United States District Court, D. Colorado
MARCUS F. CORDOVA, Petitioner,
COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS, Respondent.
ORDER DIRECTING PETITIONER TO CURE DEFICIENCIES
GORDON P. GALLAGHER, Magistrate Judge.
Petitioner, Marcus F. Cordova, is detained in the Denver County Jail. He initiated this action on January 20, 2015, by filing a Motion to Hear Habeas Corpus Motion and a Prisoner's Motion and Affidavit for Leave to Proceed Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1915 in a Habeas Corpus Action. In the Habeas Corpus Motion, Mr. Cordova challenges the revocation of his parole and his reincarceration.
"The essence of habeas corpus is an attack by a person in custody upon the legality of that custody, and... the traditional function of the writ is to secure release from illegal custody." See Preiser v. Rodriguez, 411 U.S. 475, 484 (1973). "Petitions under § 2241 are used to attack the execution of a sentence. See Bradshaw v. Story, 86 F.3d 164, 166 (10th Cir. 1996). By contrast,
It appears that Mr. Cordova is attempting to challenge the execution of his state court sentence. As such, his claims must be asserted in a habeas corpus application pursuant to § 2241. See Montez v. McKinna, 208 F.3d 862, 865 (10th Cir. 2000); see also United States v. Furman, 112 F.3d 435, 438 (10th Cir.1997) (noting that issues concerning "parole procedure go to the execution of sentence and, thus, should be brought against defendant's custodian under 28 U.S.C. § 2241").
As part of the Court's review pursuant to D.C.COLO.LCivR 8.1(b), the Court has determined that the submitted documents are deficient as described in this order. Plaintiff will be directed to cure the following if he wishes to pursue his claims. Any papers that Plaintiff files in response to this order must include the civil action number on this order.
28 U.S.C. § 1915 Motion and Affidavit:
(1) __ is not submitted
(2) __ is missing affidavit
(3) __ is missing certified copy of prisoner's trust fund statement for the 6-month period immediately preceding this filing (necessary if filing a habeas corpus application)
(4) __ is missing certificate showing current balance in prison account
(5) __ is missing required financial information
(6) __ is missing an original signature by the prisoner
(7) __ is not on proper form (must use the Court's form for habeas applications)
(8) __ names in caption do not match names in caption of complaint, petition ...